Skip to main content

Privacy and Your Digital Identity

If someone had access to everything you have posted all over the internet they will know who you really are - perhaps even more than many of your close friends.

Imagine me as this person. I know who your elementary, highschool, and college classmates. I know who your former and current officemates are. I know your preferences and your interest based on the websites you visit.

I know your hobbies based on the photos that you shared and the organizations and clubs that you've joined. I know your favorite hangouts based on the statuses that you posted.

I know your Social Security Number, your Bank account, and your Credit Card information – every data about you.

I could use this information for something harmless as giving them to commercial companies so they could send you offers that you will probably like because they are based on your personal data.

Or this data could get leaked to individuals who have more malicious intention.

What are the bad ways your personal data can be used against you?

1. Stalking
2. Criminal Intent (Kidnapping, Theft, Robbery, Murder, etc.)
3. Slander / Mud Slinging / Destroying your Reputation

You would probably say I am just paranoid.

Just the past week we've heard that someone hacked into Sony's Playstation Network and into the members personal details. It is not stated whether credit card information were leaked but it is not far fetched.

And then Facebook admitted that they have been leaking personal data to third parties for years. And only because it was revealed by Symantec, the security company.

Facebook also admitted to hiring a PR company to run a negative campaign against Google. If a company would stoop so low as hire a company to do something unethical, could you ever trust them with your personal information?

Apple is also being sued because of the Ipad and Iphones location tracking because they store the information in their databases and it can be restored using itunes. The main concern was, what if someone hacked into these databases?

Lately, I have been weary with this Internet companies since they seem to bent on using their customers' data to every profitable way they can imagine. And hackers have become bolder and more sophisticated in their methods. So right now I am being more careful with the information I share. For starters I think there will be no more personal social network accounts for me. They actually do more harm to me than good.

Again am I being overly paranoid?

I have a former classmate who works abroad. She often receives SMS messages from relatives asking her to send money. The sender even used some personal information that only my classmate and her relatives will know. My classmate is fortunately a cautious person. She called her relative and she found out that her relative did not send any such SMS.

Now who would get a hold of her Cellphone and some information about her. The only thing she could recall is the company she hired to send a package to her country.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Backup Your Blogger/Blogspot Blog

There has been a lot of times when my entries here magically disappeared costing me several months of work. Fortunately, there is now an easy way to backup Blogspot blogs. In your blog's control panel, if you look under the Settings tab, you will see Blog Tools section. Beside it you will see an option to Import Blog, Export Blog, and Delete Blog. Export Blog will allow you to save the contents of your blog in your hard disk. Import Blog will allow you to restore a previously saved copy. Related Link: To Begin Again

GIMP: How to Enable Wacom Pen Tablet

If you are doing digital graphics in Gimp, whether painting or simply drawing, it is best to use a pen tablet. Wacom is a recognized brand when it comes to pen tablets. Gimp does support it but it is not enabled by default. How to Enable Pen Tablet Support 1. Launch Gimp using your pen tablet. Don't use the mouse to launch Gimp. If you do, Gimp won't detect it. 2. In the menu click Edit>Preference. 3. On the list click "Input Devices". 4. Click "Configure Extended Input Decives". Here is where Gimp gets weird. If you started Gimp for the first time using a mouse, it will say there are no available input device. But if you launched it using the pen tablet, you will see "Wacom Tablet Pressure Stylus" and "Wacom Tablet Eraser" . 5. Click the Close Button 6. Click "Save Input Device Settings Now" so that the pen tablet will still be supported when you launch Gimp next time.

LED Monitor Review: LG FLATRON E2041

My Old AOC CRT Monitor began to show signs of dying. It would occasionally black out for a few seconds. Sometimes lightning streaks  would run across the screen. I bought that monitor way back in 2006. It served me well for 5 years. It was very durable and AOC is a good brand. And so I had no choice but to buy myself a new monitor. I would have preferred another CRT Monitor but they were no longer available. Even the more recent LCD screens are being phased out in favor a the newer LED monitors. LG FLATRON E2041 (This was not my first choice but it was the next best thing available in the computer store I visited). 1600 X 900 Resolution (16:9 Aspect Ratio) Contrast Ratio: 5,000,000:1 Brightness: 250 Cd/m2 Dimensions W/Stand (WHD): 17.44" X 13.78" X 6.54" My Feedback This monitor comes with two connectors VGA and DVI. It comes with a CD that is supposed to contain the manual and monitor drivers. However, when you install the monitor driver contain